Winter is here! Hope all of you are staying warm and cozy this month!
Kick back on your day off and check out all WCASHRM has to offer on our new and improved website! WCASHRM.ORG
Did you know all members have access to place an ad on our classifieds page? Here you can reach out to the specific skilled candidate you are looking for.
Thank you Krista Scammahorn for your presentation, Not Everything is an Email.
Register for our February meeting February 23rd at 11:30am. Frank Mulcahy will share his knowledge on Identity Theft: Together we can Deter, Detect, & Defend.
The Board has decided to continue our monthly drives again this year to benefit local organizations. If you have any suggestions, please email Terry Davis at [email protected] This month, please consider making a monetary donation to the United Way of the Ouachitas COVID-19 Relief Fund at United Way COVID-19.
Identity Theft: Together we can Deter, Detect, & Defend
with Frank Mulcahy
LINK WILL BE EMAILED TO You WITH CONFIRMATION NOTIFICATION.
FEBRUARY 23, 2021 | 11:30 A.M. - 1:00 P.M.
Program Learning Objectives:
1) Understanding the many sources of Identity theft breaches. And the harmful effects it has on your staff and the organization. We will also cover the economic cost it has on your organization. We will share ways to recognize Ransomeware, Adware, Spyware, Phishing, Vishing, Smishing, and every possible intrusion point. Detection is your best line of defense.
2) Develop a clear understanding of why Identity theft occurs and explore the five types & characteristics of breaches.
-Character Theft (impersonation)
-Professional license Security clearance loss.
-Ransomware, Adware, Spyware
-Phishing, Vishing, Smishing, Pretexting, Cell Phone spying
3) Learn how to develop a well-defined Policy and training program for C-suite and Mid Management that will help eliminate Identity Theft loss from your organization. You must have a comprehensive approach to handle this costly, abusive problem properly. Cyberattacks compromised over eleven billion personal data records from 2014 – 2020. A new report has revealed, driven by high-profile breaches on Home Depot, JPMorgan, Office Personnel Management, Equifax, Verizon, Marriott, and eBay.
Frank Mulcahy is an International Keynote Speaker, #1 Author, Risk Manager CITRMS, Benefits Broker. He has developed Webinars, Virtual & Live educational workshops exposing the cost of Identity theft and the misuse & abuse of social media accounts. Frank's immersion in Identity theft prevention and Red Flag training began with the Institute of Consumer Financial Education (ICFE) and the Institute for Fraud Risk Management (TIFRM). Frank attended ICEF® & IFRM to hone his mastery of all facets of Identity.
One hour of SHRM PDC & HRCI is approved.
WCASHRM is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP.
The use of this seal confirms that this activity has met HR Certification Institute’s® (HRCI®) criteria for recertification credit pre-approval.
National Park College offers a university experience that's close to home at less than half the cost of the average university. 95 percent of NPC students receive Financial Aid and Scholarships. Last year, NPC students received over $8 million in grants and scholarships. NPC offers two-year degrees and certificates both on-campus and online, as well as bachelor's degrees on campus through a partnership with Southern Arkansas University. From affordable tuition to high-demand skills, NPC provides the tools needed to achieve your potential. Our experienced faculty and staff are committed to your success in the workforce. In fact, we guarantee it. With an education at NPC, the path to a full-time career is closer than you think.
MONTHLY SPONSORSHIPS OPPORTUNITIES
Would you like to have a captive audience of human resource professionals? WCASHRM holds a meeting on the last Tuesday of each month featuring a luncheon speaker on a topic critical to our day-to-day success. The opportunity to sponsor our monthly luncheon is an exclusive opportunity within your particular industry or service. As a sponsor of our monthly meeting you receive:
- Logo on the WCASHRM website for 1 month with link to sponsor's website
- Logo and recognition in Monthly Newsletter and Meeting reminders
- Recognition in Social Media Events and Thank you Post after the meeting
- Email Blast to membership (optional) (Content provided by sponsor)
- Five minute presentation at beginning of monthly meeting
- Recognition by the chapter president at the meeting
- When we resume meeting in person, these benefits are included:
- Vendor Table to display products at the event
- Lunch for 2 company representatives
Member companies: $75
Contact: [email protected] for more information.
You can register online with the option to pay by credit card or by check. Please note the month you are wishing to sponsor. Then, please email the [email protected] with your Organization's website address, description and logo in JPEG, BMP, PNG or TIF format. Newsletter deadline is the first of each month.
Click on FULL CATALOG TO PAY.
Welcome to Megan Babb - OBHAW, Hot Springs, AR
Welcome back to Jill Cargile - Arvest Bank, Glenwood, AR
We hope all our local members and/or those members who did not elect auto renewal will renew your WCASHRM membership for 2021. The 2021 membership application is available here.
WCASHRM values you and helps you meet your professional goals. Benefits of being a WCASHRM member include:
- Virtual meetings are free for members.
- An opportunity to network on a monthly basis with local HR professionals.
- Regular legislative updates in the industry, community, state and federal levels.
- Recertification credits at our chapter meetings and annual Managers’ Seminar.
- Monthly topics that are relevant and of concern to Human Resource professionals.
- Monthly newsletters with information relating to the chapter, SHRM and HR industry.
- Participation in local workforce readiness activities.
- Certification study groups.
- The opportunity to post jobs at no cost on our website.
WE WOULD LOVE TO INCREASE OUR MEMBERSHIP!
Encourage those you know in HR to join WCASHRM today by completing this application and submitting the appropriate dues. SHRM members are free when they designate WCASHRM (0467) as their primary chapter. (If you are a local member only and join now, you get the rest of the year complimentary.)
JOIN SHRM TOO!
SHRM Membership enhances your local membership. An individual SHRM membership costs just $219 annually and then your local dues with WCASHRM would be free. (SHRM Membership $219 minus WCASHRM dues $45 = $174 total new cost)
By joining the national organization, SHRM, membership grants you immediate access to:
- Free member webcasts on important HR topics with CE credit;
- Compliance alerts when legislation is enacted and information on how to implement the necessary changes;
- Experienced, certified HR Knowledge Advisors who can assist with specific questions and offer advice on handling sensitive situations;
- Resource centers to keep our organization up-to-date on topics such as workplace bias, communicable diseases and performance management;
- Hundreds of sample job descriptions, policies and interview questions that are customizable so I can adapt and use them right away;
- Daily e-newsletters with analysis on critical HR topics;
- Discounted conferences, certification exam fees, seminars, e-learning courses and bookstore items;
- And much more… [See this graphic for total value of $13,000]
I know money is tight with the pandemic and economic conditions. I know that you have to budget and fight for every dollar you spend, but I think with the above listed benefits, you’ll find that $18.25 a month is well worth it. I have found tremendous information that has helped me navigate during these last few months, and without SHRM, I would have spent more payroll dollars researching best practices than $18.25/month.
To join SHRM, go to https://www.shrm.org/about-shrm/Pages/Membership.aspx. Then email me your 2021 WCASHRM form to me noting you are a SHRM member, and we’ll update our records.
Call or 501-624-2172 or email if you have any questions.
Tara Mauk Arthur | Membership VP
Certification Reimbursement and Testing Sponsorship
The chapter will reimburse up to $400 for four (4) chapter members, who successfully pass their certification testing annually. The reimbursement is available to chapter members who are national SHRM members and their employment does not pay for their certification testing. Applications will be accepted after successful exam results.
In addition, the chapter purchased one (1) Learning/Prep Kit that can be utilized by the chapter members preparing to test for certification. If you are planning to test for certification this year and are interested in applying for the reimbursement or you are interested in studying getting certified, please contact [email protected]
You can download the scholarship form here.
WCASHRM sponsors one (1) $500 scholarship to an undergraduate (junior or senior status) or graduate student each semester. The scholarship is open to any student who meets the following requirements:
-Junior/Senior status or graduate student
-An Arkansas resident or enrolled student in an accredited college/university for the current school year in one of the Arkansas counties: Garland, Hot Spring, Clark, Pike, Montgomery, Saline, Grant, Pope, Polk, Nevada, Hempstead, Yell, and Perry.
-Pursuing a degree in business/human resources related field or law (with emphasis on labor/employment law)
-Minimum 3.00 GPA overall
To apply, download the form and submit. DEADLINE to mail or e-mail completed applications: April 1 (for Fall) or October 1 (for Spring).
SHRM Foundation Launches HR RAP
On February 10th, SHRM Foundation will formally launch the HR-Registered Apprenticeship Program (HR RAP), the first national HR apprenticeship program. Powered by SHRM’s competency-based certification program, the HR RAP is designed to develop untapped talent and upskill incumbent workers for the HR Specialist role through a “learn and earn" experience. This on-the-job training paired with classroom learning leads to higher productivity and increased retention. Apprentices will be prepared to earn the SHRM-Certified Professional credential, giving them the skills they need to deliver results to your organization and an opportunity to progress in an established career path. The website: hrapprentice.org will go live on February 10.
2021 SHRM Foundation Scholarships, Grants, and Awards
The SHRM Foundation launched its 2021 Scholarship, Grants, and Awards offerings, including several new awards focused on promoting equity and representation in the HR field, while incentivizing skills development that improves the broader workplace. Awards such as the Workplace Policy Conference, HR Exploration, and Student Membership are open to non-members to draw awareness to the field of HR and solidify SHRM as the organization that can support them throughout their career. In total, the SHRM Foundation offers more than $500,000 in awards that support over 300 recipients, helping them achieve career success. If you have questions, contact Dr. Vernon Williams or visit the SHRM Foundation Scholarships, Grants, and Award website.
New law extends COVID tax credit for employers to keep workers on payroll here.
OSHA: New guidance on mitigating/preventing COVID-19 spread in workplace here.
The top five labor and employment issues employers need to know right now here.
Arkansas employers to receive tax rate statements here.
Vaccine acceptance crucial to ending pandemic here.
W-2s May Need to Be Corrected Due to the FFCRA
Issue amended W-2s if needed
Some employers have been surprised by the new requirement to report wages paid for leave taken under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA) on employees’ W-2 forms. But W-2s can be corrected if they’ve already been issued.
DOL Issues New Guidance on Posting Notices for Remote, Hybrid Workplaces
Inform employees of where and how to access the notices electronically
The Department of Labor (DOL) provided guidance on posting notices covering wage and hour requirements under the Fair Labor Standards Act and leave taking under the Family and Medical Leave Act, among other laws, when employees are working remotely.
Reminder: Deadlines Ahead as Employers Prep for ACA Reporting in 2021
March 2 is the extended deadline for distributing 1095 forms
Employers should keep in mind approaching 2021 deadlines for distributing health care reporting forms to employees and filing these forms with the IRS, as required under the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
OSHA 300A Posting Period Begins
Employers that are covered by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration's (OSHA's) record-keeping rule must post a summary of 2020 work-related injuries and illnesses in a noticeable place from Feb. 1 to April 30.
Should You Be Worried About the New COVID Strains? The new COVID strains could cause a major case surge. Here's how to prepare. Are you excited by the positive news about vaccines? 2020 has been such a tough year for us all. While it's been a growth opportunity for almost everyone who has had to make the transition to the virtual work life, 2021 brings hope and promise. You might find valuable information from one of SHRM Speakers Bureau’s dynamic speakers Dr. Gleb Tsipursky in his recent piece out in Psychology Today about the dangers of these new strains and what leaders can do to address them.
For the latest news and advice on handling COVID-19 in the workplace, visit SHRM’s Coronavirus Resource Center, as well as updated list of articles SHRM has published on the pandemic.
Unable to access the SHRM links? Considering joining SHRM for $219 and your local dues are free. See membership above for info.